Sunday, March 06, 2011

Yes, Yes I am a Country Kid

I was standing over the kitchen sink doing dishes (no, we don't have a dishwasher) trying to convince myself I wasn't being a bad mom for having Looney Tunes playing on the t.v. while I wasn't sitting out there watching it with him. And by him I mean our 2 1/2 year old. After all, it's the first he's watched today, he didn't watch much yesterday either (and none by himself), and I really needed to get some dishes done.
How I wish I had a decent house with a proper kitchen sink in front of the obligatory window overlooking a proper yard. But I don't; we live in a third story tiny appartment without so much as a patio. Between that and my physical difficulties my children currently spend way more time inside then I ever imagined would be the case. But then I never imagined moving back to the city. I hate the city. And that spawned a post idea; let's begin.
The average kid today spends most of their time indoors. No biggy right? I mean, there must have been lots of times throughout history that kids rarely saw the sun...wait, that would be during times of extreme cold like the Ice Age, or when hiding was necessary like during wars. Ok, bad example.
The average kids today eats whatever is available, regardless of nutritinal value like fast food, premade frozen foods, and anything else the parents can work into their busy lives. No biggy, they can take vitamins and there have been plenty of times in history where kids have had less than ideal...wait, that would have been during times of extreme famine, poverty, and war. Ok, bad example.
A large portion of kids today are missing one parent due to out of wedlock births and divorce. No biggy right? There have been plenty of times when a large portion of kids were missing parents...wait, that would have been during times of pestilance, war, and natural disasters. Ok, bad example.
A large portion of kids today are missing sibblings due to an abortion rate that has reached 60% in some demographics. No biggy, there have been plenty of demographics in the past (and currently) who have had a 1 in 5 or even 1 in 3 death rate among the under 5 group...wait, that was due to unhygenic conditions, war, famine, pestilance, disease, and natural disasters. Ok, bad example.
The average kid today spends a large portion of the day away from their mother/father and in the care of non-biologically connected caregivers in mass groups. Well that's no big deal, there have been plenty of kids who...wait, those were in foundling homes, orphanages, and in times when the working population of adults had been decimated by war, pestilance, or natural disaster. Ok...there has to be a good example around here somewhere...
Here's one: the average kid today has more toys and clothes than ever before. Yes, it's true. Adults and children, society as a whole, has managed to accumulate more possessions than all but the richest men throughout history. But you know what they say, "he who dies with the most toys, still dies".
THIS is the "good life"?
We've got the average family working two jobs, so busy that the family unit and especially the kids, are surviving in situations previously found only during calamity why? So we can all have 2 cars, a big screen HDTV with 500 channels, a wardrobe that needs its own room, a collection of toys that needs its own zipcode, a mother who doesn't feel dependant upon a/her husband, and a father who have a 'fulfilling' career? And this is supposed to be a GOOD thing?
All I'm left with is a rarely heard Bible verse: "Woe to those join house to house;
They add field to field,
Till there is no place
Where they may dwell alone in the midst of the land!" Isaiah 5:8

Anyone want to trade this 'good life' for a nice little ranch somewhere? Cuz frankly, I'd rather the farmhouse than the townhouse.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Rachel said...

agreed...we would much rather live in our one bedroom 609 square foot house in our sleepy little town (no one has to lock doors here) than a big beautiful house in the city with mega awesome jobs that allow us to see our children rarely...

10:12 AM  
Anonymous truthseeker said...

Hi Jespren,
Glad to see you are not a troll :)
I'll put a summary of of post trail to start the dialogue:

Jespren, specifically which chapters and sections of the Catholic faith (our Catechism) is non-biblical. Perhaps you could provide me with the ones you are thinking of when you make your perjurous accusation.

Jespren said: The co-redeptive aspect of Mary/salvation through Mary, that Mary was without the stain of original sin, the worship of saints/Mary, calling Mary ‘Queen of Heaven’, the repetition of prayers, the transubstanation of the host, venial/mortal sin, purgetory, monetary redeption (the famous quote is “the moment the coin in the coffer rings the moment the soul from purgetory springs”), the priesthood being channels to God, requiring sacrements of the Church for continued salvation, losing your salvation, priest-issued pentance, forgiveness of sin through priests, infallibility of the Pope, I could go on. Again, if you (or anyone else) would like an indepth conversation please feel free to contact me away from this board.

truthseeker said:
Jespren,
We can discusss these points you mentioned without end. But debating these points is different than your patently false statement that these things are not biblical. In order not to get lost in too many points at once lets just start with your first few points.

The co-redeptive aspect of Mary/salvation through Mary, that Mary was without the stain of original sin:

In scripture it was God himself who chose Mary to be the mother of His son. In scripture Mary is the vessel in which God chose to place the entire salvific economy of all mankind. In scripture Jesus received his humanity through through Mary and Jesus was born without stain of sin; so reason tells me that Mary either was born without original sin or at least somehow shared in the salvation of Christ beforehand and was kept without sin as a part of God’s plan for His son.
Lk 1:
Exodus 25:11-21 ark made of purest gold for God’s word.

According to Article 3 Chapter 2 line 485 of the Catechism:
“The mission of the Holy Spirit is always conjoined and ordered to that of the Son.122 The Holy Spirit, “the Lord, the giver of Life,” is sent to sanctify the womb of the Virgin Mary and divinely fecundate it, causing her to conceive the eternal Son of the Father in a humanity drawn from her own.”

In scripture Jesus performed his first miracle at the Wedding Feast in Cana when at urging of his mother he changed the water into wine. I am comfortable with her urging Jesus to perform miracles for me too.

the worship of saints
We do not “worship” saints, we join in prayerful communion with them as is often written about in scripture:
Romans 15:30
Col 4:3
1Thes 5:25
2Thes 1:11
2Thes 3:1
Eph 6:18-19
Tobit 12:12
Rev 5:8

the repetition of prayers
Sometimes I say the Lord’s prayer fifty times in a row and it means more to me on the fiftieth repetition than on the first.
Mathew 26:44
Rev 4:8

I could go on and on and we could dialogue about these doctrine but it is patently false of you to state that they are not Biblical. It is more correct to say that non-Catholic faiths llack in offering guidance/doctrine to their faithful. Does your church have any “doctrine” on abortion?

10:56 AM  
Blogger Jespren said...

Truthseeker: thank you for posting, I've got a sick kid and some business that's going to keep me from responding indepthly right away, so please bear with me. I will dig my Catholic apologetics info out and get back to you early next week. Provided my poor kidlet gets better, he's been sick for 9 days now!

6:49 PM  
Anonymous truthseeker said...

No problem and no rush. Hope your son feels better soon. I'll check back occasionally. The peace of Jesus Christ be with you and your family.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Jespren said...

Truthseeker, I'm so sorry, the week totally got away from me! We are still half packed between moves and I can't find my Catholic apologetic books, but hang with me and I'll do my best, but without my books I won't be able to quote specific edicts, Popes, or prayers, so I'm still looking.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home