Monday, December 06, 2010

I'd say the victim was between 18 and 25 years of age.

I like crime drama, Law and Order, SVU, CSI, NCIS, and Bones, even the 'oldies' like Murder She Wrote and odd ball ones like the Sentiel and Moonlight, but I find their means of aging bodies extremely annoying. Growth plates are bad enough. I had an xray in 5th grade and the only growth plates still open were on my sacrol crest. I stopped growing in 4th grade (that would be around 10) while my father grew two inches between 21 and 25. I was 5'6" and 130lbs in 4th grade, and 5th, 6th, 7th...you get the point. In fact I was still 5' 6" although I had dropped to 125lbs when I was married at 22. On the other hand my (female) cousin grew steadily until she reached her final height (about 5'8" but I may be off an inch or so) in late high school.
And then there are the teeth. According to crime shows everyone gets their wisdom teeth between 18 and 25, all four of them. Excuse me while I roll my eyes. Let's see:
Dad: 3 wisdom teeth removed in late 20's, never got the 4th
Mom: 2 wisdom teeth removed in late teens, never got the other 2.
Brother: 2 removed in early twenties (don't know if the others have/had come in)
Me: all 4 erupted and removed at 12. (Yes, really, I'm not kidding)
Husband: all 4 removed at 18 or 19.
Friend1: currently in her 40's, never got them
Friend2: 1 removed in late 30's...
Do I need to continue?
How do real life cops determine age of an unknown subject or victim? I have no idea, but I certainly hope they have something more reliable then those old television standbyes of growth plates and teeth! I realize it's television, but really, it's as ridiculous as using non-poisonous species of snakes, frogs, and spiders and having the scientist run away screaming. Really? Because a phd biology major doesn't know the difference between a Coral snake and a Milk snake, and, according to Hollywood niether do we. Which I find just insulting. I mean, come on, is it really that difficult to paint a snake? Or use one of the non-poisonous varieties that really do look like a poisonous one?
I like t.v. and movies, I do, but I shouldn't have to check my brain at the door to enjoy one.
What about you, what's your 'favorite' Hollywood annoyance? Or, when did you get your wisdom teeth in/stop growing?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Tracy said...

Can't say it's a "favourite" annoyance, but I find it almost intolerable to see birth scenes in any tv or movie - it's just awful! They're so off in an attempt to be dramatic or comical that it's no wonder kids have no sense of what is involved in birth.

A close second is mental illness. I can look past some of it though. But if mental illness is a central theme and done wrong, it drives me to such annoyance I can't watch it!

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home